Sunday, October 11, 2009

Job Hunting

In these troubled economic times it is no surprise that many people are out there seeking employment. Some because they want to move forward in their career and others because the job they used to have no longer exists.

To that effort there are a multitude of online and offline resources to assist them. Many (likely most) of these resources are very helpful and truly wish to assist the users in finding, if not their dream job, at least a decent job. However, whenever there are people who are in need there will always be those who wish to take advantage of them.

As I said above there are many great services out there. But what I want to talk about here is those other services, you know, the ones that are, shall we say, less than above board. Primarily, I am talking about "pay to play" recruiting services.

I was recently contacted by a couple of these services and immediately I was struck by the thought that this is upsode down from what I expected. Even though I was somewhat shocked I decided to research the idea and the people who posed the idea to me. What do you think I found?

The two services that I investigated through the web and the Better Business Bureau (I will not name them in this blog) had many, many disatisfied and distraught people angry with them and both had very poor BBB scores. There were many different sites and blogs detailing the misstatements, misrepresentations and outright lies made by these two particular organizations.

I am sure that there are honest services that you pay a fee to help you with all phases of your job search, these two were not among them. I may not find a job quickly without paying someone to help me but I am sure that I will eventually find the job I am looking for without paying several thousands of dollars to do so.

I would lie to remind anyone that reads this and is seeking a job to always investigate any offer made to you by a recruiting service because you never know what you might find.

No comments:

Post a Comment